The City Council and Mayor worked with Lyle Sumek and Associates, Inc. to complete Urbandale’s 2020 Strategic Plan. In this plan the Vision for Urbandale is a Premier Community for all Generations.
The Mission of Urbandale city government is to provide exceptional quality municipal services; to act as a financially responsible government; which is responsive to our community needs; and involves our residents.
The 2020 Strategic Plan identifies five goals that provide the framework for achieving the City’s Mission and Vision. Within each goal the Council and Mayor identified its "top" and "high" priority milestones to achieve in calendar year 2020 and/or 2021. In all the 2020 Strategic Plan identified 189 milestones within the five goals.
- Goal 1 - Financially Responsible City Providing Exceptional Municipal Services
- Local Option Sales & Service Tax (LOSST) Policy Direction and Projects
- Fire Staffing - Retention & Compensation
- City Communications Enhancements
- City Council Rules & Procedures
- Goal 2 - Investment in Urbandale’s Future - Updated/Replaced City Infrastructure
- Regional Water Supply & Treatment
- Stormwater Management Policy, Master Plan and Projects
- City Operations Sustainability Plan
- Creek Bank Erosion & Restoration
- Complete Streets Policy - Implementation
- Goal 3 - Premier Community - Great Place for Families
- Annexation Policy: Grimes, Waukee & West
- Comprehensive Plan
- Community Unity Strategy & Action Plan - "One Urbandale Community"
- Quality of Life Bond Package
- Mobile Food Truck Policy
- Building Code Update
- Goal 4 - Thriving Interchanges/Corridors Development
- Douglas - Our Main Street Plan
- City-wide Revitalization/Blight Elimination Actions
- Class "A" Office Incentive Policy
- Hickman Interchange Development
- Goal 5 - Great Neighborhoods: Old and New
- Affordable Housing Policy & City Actions
- Neighborhood Finance Corporation