Urbandale Alerts

◄ Back
July 1, 2018 2:20 PM

City of Urbandale Responds to Weekend Flash Flooding

On Saturday, June 30 and Sunday, July 1 heavy rain fell throughout the Des Moines Metro causing dangerous flash flooding in Urbandale. All roadways in Urbandale have been assessed for damage and are open to traffic. Trails in the Urbandale Parks System are currently being assessed and will be closed where appropriate. Residents are asked to use caution in the parks and avoid flood waters.

Residents may dial 2-1-1 from a landline or cell phone to find up-to-date local information at any time. Always dial 9-1-1 in an emergency.

Urbandale Residents can utilize the no-charge Storm Damaged Household Debris Material Collection service beginning Monday, July 2. To request this no-charge service please email engpw@urbandale.org or call at 515-278-3950 and leave a message with your address and contact information. Place household debris between the street curb and sidewalk for Urbandale Public Works to collect. Residents must notify Urbandale Public Works to arrange the pickup.

All City operations, including waste and garbage collection, will continue as scheduled. Due to the holiday the City will run a modified refuse collection schedule. Residents with Monday or Tuesday garbage collection are unaffected by the July 4th holiday. Residents with Wednesday, July 4th or Thursday, July 5th collection are affected by the holiday and will want to put bins out a day later. Regular Wednesday collection has been moved to Thursday, and regular Thursday collection has been moved to Friday.

Several residences and businesses have been damaged by flood and storm water. The community is encouraged to carefully monitor water levels and stay away from flood waters. Residents with concerns or damage reports can leave a voice message at 515-278-3950 or email engpw@urbandale.org.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Latest Update:

July 11, 2018 8:14 AM

Immediate assistance Individuals can visit the Disaster Recovery Center (2309 Euclid Ave.) to get immediate help from flood damage. The Disaster Recovery Center is open Monday, July 9, 2018 until 4:00 PM. After Monday, July 9, 2018, please contact the following organizations by the phone numbers listed below.

Polk County Health Department – medical assessment, help with medications and tetanus vaccines. For additional information, please call (515) 286-3798.

Polk County Health Services – mental health services and resources. For additional information, please call (515) 243-4545.

Polk County Public Works – pumps to assist cleaning out basements. For additional information, please call (515) 286-3705.

Polk County General Assistance – financial assistance with bills, rent and any other flood expenses. For additional information, please call (515) 286-2088.

United Way – volunteer coordination. For additional information, please call (515) 246-6519.

Red Cross – clean up kits, case management and food and clothing assistance and resources. For additional information, please call (515) 243-7681.

MidAmerican Energy – help with turning gas and electric back on in homes. For additional information, please call 1-888-427-5632.

IMPACT – provide temporary housing, food assistance, personal property assistance and home repair. For additional information, please call (515) 274-1334.

Iowa Legal Aid – legal assistance for tenants with flood damage questions and concerns. For additional information, please call (515) 243-1193.

Salvation Army – flood recovery kits, food assistance and additional assistance. For additional information, please call (515) 282-3599.

Polk County Emergency Management – free volunteer assistance to move water damaged property from your home. Call (515) 286-2154 or (515) 286-2155 to request help.

What financial assistance is available to flood impacted residents?
The Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program for qualifying residents of Polk County. The grant program provides up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $41,560 for a family of three. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food and temporary housing expenses not covered by insurance or other grant programs. Original receipts are required for those seeking reimbursement for actual expenses related to storm recovery. The grant application and instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Human Services website at http://dhs.iowa.gov/disaster-assistance-programs. Potential applicants have 45 days from the date of the proclamation to submit a claim. For information on the Individual Assistance Grant Program in Polk County, contact IMPACT Community Action Partnership at http://www.impactcap.org

Will residents be able to get federal funding such as FEMA?
In order to qualify for federal funding, Polk County is working to report the extent and severity of damage to FEMA. FEMA then determines our qualification for federal and individual assistance. To meet this threshold, it is very important for residents to report a damage assessment to 211, the Disaster Recovery Center or self-report it to Polk County Emergency Management’s website where it says “Click here to report impacts from flash floods.” Make sure to take LOTS of pictures for damage reports so we can see the physical damage done to your home or property. Polk County and the impacted cities are working very hard to get the damage assessments completed in a timely manner.

Prior Updates

July 9, 2018 9:42 AM

Residents impacted by the recent severe weather are asked to report damage to help local and state officials better understand the damage sustained. Damage to property, roads, utilities and other storm-related information may be reported. This information will be collected by the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and shared with local emergency management agencies. Report damage through the form provided by the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Report Damage