Housing & Rental Property
Urbandale has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code 2012 Edition, with amendments that are incorporated in Urbandale Ordinance No. 2015-05 Chapter 151
- If you do not have access to a computer, there is on provided for you at our customer counter and on of our staff can help you get registered.
- If additional assistance is needed please call 515-278-3930 or visit our customer counter at 3600 86th st. Urbandale, IA 50322
Single-Family or Duplex Certificates are valid for Two years.
All Single-Family and Duplex inspections are conducted by City Staff.
Pre Inspection Checklist- Single Family/Duplex Checklist (PDF)
- Property Owner / Property Managers- are required to
1. Register via our online portal
2. Apply for a License, also known as a Housing Certificate- fees are associated
3. Schedule an inspection via the online portal or by calling 515-278-3930 4. Inspection will be conducted by City Staff
5. A "Housing Certificate" will be available to download when all inspections and corrections are approved. http://www.citizenserve.com/urbandale
Multi-Family Certificates are valid for One year.
At the first of the year, complexes will receive written notice of the upcoming inspections, at which time it will be determined if the complex requires a City inspection or Self-Inspection.
Pre Inspection Checklist- Multi-family Rental Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- City Inspections- Buildings are required to:
1. Register via our online portal
2. Apply for a License, also known as Housing Certificate- fees are associated for city inspect year.
3. Licenses must be applied for before March 31st. 4. Schedule an inspection via the online portal or by calling 515-278-3930
5. Inspections and all corrections should be completed by June 30th.
6. A "Housing Certificate" will be available to download when all inspections and corrections are approved. http:www.citizenserve.com/urbandale
- Self- Inspections- Buildings are required to:
1. Register via the online portal
2. Apply for a License, also known as a Housing Certificate- No fees for self-inspect year
3. Perform the required inspections and submit the complete form Annual Multi-Family Self Inspection (PDF)- Inspections should be conducted by Complex Maintenance or Management
4. Completed self-inspection forms may be submitted any time during the licensing process, but must be submitted prior to June 30th each year. This may be done by uploading through the online portal or receiving at our customer counter.
5. A "Housing Certificate" will be available to download when all inspections and corrections are completed and self-inspection forms are received. http://www.citizenserve.com/urbandale
Online Portal Information.
How to register please go to our portal at https://www.citizenserve.com/urbandale and follow these steps:
1. Select "My Account" on the top right-hand side of the page;
2. "New to our portal?" click Register Now
3. Select Business owner, fill in required fields and click submit
4. You are now a portal user; next apply for a license "Housing Certificate"
How to apply for a license, also known as a "Housing Certificate"
1. Log in using your username and password:
2. Under the Online Service- Rental Certification; Click "Apply For a License"
3. Fill in required fields and select submit
4. If your organization has multiple properties, you will need to apply for a license for each property
5. Once your license has been processed and paid for that address, you will be able to login and schedule inspections, see inspection corrections, and download a Housing Certificate.
- Do I need a Permit? IRC/IBC 105.1 Permits are Required, When any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter , repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system. Fences would also be included. A Housing Certificate will not be issued if there are outstanding building violations. If you are unsure please call our office.
- Do I Need to contact the Fire Marshal? Fire Marshal approval is required on Multi-family buildings ONLY A Housing Certificate will not be issued if there are any outstanding fire code violations. Please contact Urbandale Fire Department for status reports or any additional questions. Jon Rech 515-278-3970 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do I need to be there for the inspection? You are required by State Law to notify your tenants of entry into the unit with a 24-hour advance notice. An adult 18 years of age or older must be present for the inspection, and that person should either be the tenant or an authorized owner's representative. Please coordinate with your tenants to schedule inspections.
- How long does it take to get a certificate and where do I get one ? Single family and duplexes- Owners will have up to 30 days from the date of the first inspection to complete any corrections, once all corrections are inspected and approved your "Housing Certificate" will be available to download via our portal. http://citizenserve.com/urbandale Multifamily complexes- Timing is key! Please try to have your license applied for before March 31st. This would allow ample time to schedule inspection and make the needed corrections, once all corrections are inspected and approved your "Housing Certificate" will be available to download via our portal. http://www.citizenserve.com/urbandale This process must be completed before your June 30th expiration date.
- Should I be concerned if I lead based paint in my home? If renovation work is being done on any housing built before 1978, the Iowa Department of Public Health Lead Bureau should be contacted at 1-800-972-2026.
Additional Housing Information can also be found at:
Information on Mold and Mildew
EPA - Guide to Mold and Moisture (PDF)
EPA - Mold Course
Download EPA Mold Course (5.5M PDF) (Click Here)
Community Housing Services Program
1111 Ninth Street, Suite 210
Des Moines, IA 50314
Des Moines Municipal Housing Agency
Apartments and Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program for all of Polk County
Park Fair Mall, Suite 101
Des Moines, IA 50313-0313
Steve FranklinCommunity Development Director
Roger SchemmelBuilding Official
Kristi BalesCommunity Development Manager/Chief Planner
Community Development (Building Services)
3600 86th Street
Urbandale, IA 50322
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.